Scheduled flights begin1942
In spring 1942, Icelanders were delighted to acquire their first twin-engine aircraft. It was a conventional 8-seat Beechcraft D-18, and its arrival heralded the start of regularly scheduled flights. It flew from Reykjavík to Akureyri, Egilsstadir and Hornafjörður.
Haförninn was damaged beyond repair in a non-fatal crash at Hornafjörður on December 3rd, 1943. Until the summer of 1944, the Beechcraft was Flugfélag Íslands only aircraft.