From $309 per person
Transfer from hotel: Look for tour bus from Iceland Excursions. Pick-up at hotels/guesthouses in Reykjavik starts 45 minutes prior to departure and we urge you to be ready in the lobby.
Ever wondered what a volcano looks like on the inside? This unique volcano tour literally takes you inside a dormant volcano, through the top crater and to the bottom of its magma chamber.
Thrihnukagigur volcano is the only place on earth where it's safe to explore a magma chamber from the inside. The volcano has not erupted for 4,000 years and shows no signs of coming to life again anytime soon. Head out of Reykjavik by car to the volcano, approximately 25 minutes from the capital. You'll then walk over a genuine Icelandic lava field to approach the volcano (moderate level hiking, 2 out of 5, about 30-40 minutes. When you reach the volcano, your group will use an open elevator system to descend 400 feet into the ground. (All equipment and processes have been tested extensively and approved by the administration of Occupational Safety and Health in Iceland) The view is amazing and intriguing. Tour includes pick up/drop off from hotel, all required safety gear (helmets, harnesses, etc, light refreshments.)
Note: Passengers should be in reasonable physical shape for this tour, moderate walking on unpaved surface required..
This tour is not open to children 11years old and younger.
Wear: Hiking boots (essential), wind and waterproof outer jacket. Dress for cool temperatures, the crater is about 42-43°F year-round.
Bring: Bottled water, camera, good spirits- this tour is all about having fun!
1. Image copyright by Iurie Belerushi
2. Image copyright by Vilhelm Gunnarsson
The tour gives you the chance to enjoy many of the most amazing things Iceland has to offer – a great mixture of nature, history and adventure.
The whole programme takes about 5–6 hours to complete, in which time you will:
- Take a very scenic hike across a lava field, often compared to the surface of the moon.
- Get to know a bunch of stuff about volcanoes and volcanic activity in Iceland.
- Taste a delicious traditional Icelandic meat soup. In fact, you can have as much of it as you want.
- Enjoy an amazing view of Reykjavik and the Reykjanes peninsula.
- Get your adrenaline pumping, without doubt.
- Have a very, very, very close encounter with a volcano.
- Hopefully leave with a life-long memory of a unique and distinct Icelandic travel experience.
Pick-up at hotels/guesthouses in Reykjavik starts 45 minutes prior to departure and we urge you to be ready in the lobby.
The drive from Reykjavik to Blafjoll mountain cabin takes about 30 minutes. A guide will meet and greet you at the cabin before leading the way during the walk across the lava field. The walk will be entertaining and enlightening.
The walk usually takes about 45–50 minutes to complete. It’s rated as moderate in difficulty – it’s not uphill but the surface is hilly and uneven. This is not a hike for those who have problems with ankles, knees, hips and/or the back. It can be demanding for those who are not used to hiking or doing longer walks.
After arriving on location, your group will be informed about all safety procedures and how to behave in the area and when inside the volcano. You will be given a helmet and harness to wear.
The group is then split into a smaller party of 4–5 people. The trip down or up takes about 10 minutes, and the first ones to go down will usually be the first ones to go up.
You can spend up to an hour inside the volcano (or less if you prefer), in which time you can take as many photos as you want. However, you are not allowed to take rocks and stones from the crater. Expert guides will be with you at all times: in the cable lift and on the ground in the magma chamber.
While waiting for everyone in the group to complete the volcano visit, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a traditional Icelandic meat soup, hot coffee/tea/chocolate and perhaps some sweets. Don´t be surprised when we ask for your email – we would like to send you a quick survey to complete after the tour.
Finally, you will walk back over the lava field. Once again, you will be accompanied by a guide at all times. The coach will be waiting for you in the parking lot, ready to drive you back to Reykjavik.
- Transfer from/to hotel
- Guided tour
- All equipment needed for tour (helmets, harnesses, etc.)
- Sample of Icelandic refreshments
- Personal travel insurance
- Wear: Hiking boots (essential), wind and waterproof outer jacket. Dress for cool temperatures, the crater is about 42-43°F year-round.
- This tour is not available for children 11 years old and younger
- Participants must be in reasonable physical shape for hiking (25 - 30 minutes' moderate hiking on unpaved surfaces)
- Tour operator reserves the right to change or cancel bookings in accordance with operating requirements or circumstances beyond its control, such as unfavourable weather or outside conditions, equipment malfunction, natural hazards or any other similar events.